Nobel Prize-winning economist, William Sharpe (the joint-father of modern investing and the person after whom the Sharpe Ratio is named), calls Retirement Planning and investing for it, “the nastiest, hardest problem in finance”.
If the above statement sounds like an exaggeration, it’s probably because high-quality Financial Planning is almost non-existent. A financially realistic illustration would help to illustrate one minor aspect of the above statement:
Let’s say that Achilles, who is 40 years old, has already saved enough for his children’s higher education and he is now going to start saving for retirement. He and his adviser calculate that he has to save 40% of his post-tax salary for retirement, which leaves him with 60% to spend on a comfortable lifestyle.
Achilles eventually retires at the age of 60. If at that point he realizes that the earlier calculation was overly optimistic and corrects it, then he will have to cut down his lifestyle by 56%. However, if he unfortunately realizes this only at the age of 70, then at that point, he will have to cut down his lifestyle by 83%. In the extreme scenario in which he realizes this only at the age of 73, then he would have completely run out of money and hence he would be on his deathbed—unless his children bail him out.
The above illustration hints at the fact that, within Financial Planning, the component of Retirement Planning is the most complex. And since Retirement Planning and investing for it is the hardest problem in finance, it would therefore be prudent for almost everyone to engage with a competent Hourly-Fee Financial Planner and SEBI Registered Investment Adviser.
- Avinash Luthria, Hourly-Fee Financial Planner & SEBI Registered Investment Adviser (RIA)
- The only Hourly-Fee / Fixed-Fee Financial Planner in India with prior investment experience
- 12 years of experience as a Private Equity / Venture Capital investor
- 5+ years of experience as an Hourly-Fee Financial Planner & SEBI RIA
- The only Hourly-Fee / Fixed-Fee Financial Planner in India with a Top-3 MBA
- Two-year full-time MBA (Finance) from Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB)
- The first Hourly-Fee Financial Planner in India and the third Hourly-Fee Financial Planner in the World
- Hourly-Fee is the most transparent Financial Planning fee structure in the world which results in the highest alignment between the client's interests and the RIA
- There are only 8 Hourly-Fee Financial Planners in India
- Focus on clients who are knowledgeable about personal finance and investing
- The only Financial Planner in India to recommend only Passive Index Funds
- Follow an approximately 9 hour Customized Process, not the 2-hour Robo++ Process
- 'Fee-Only' i.e. Zero commissions
- Articles in Business Standard / Mint / The Ken / Bloomberg Quint
- Please see the Contact page for an update that formal engagements can start only a few months later
- Since there are people who try to impersonate RIAs, please do not pay any fees till BOTH (a) you send a detailed introductory email to email@example.com AND (b) I reply from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org to the exact same detailed introductory email that you sent, we do a 45-60 minute introductory call, we sign an agreement and then I request for payment of fees